I have a table of type MyISAM that is reporting 47 million rows when I do a
SELECT COUNT(*). When I convert this table to InnoDB, running a SELECT
COUNT(*) returns only 19 million rows. The conversion confirms 19 million
rows were inserted and reports no warnings or duplicates.

I have done the conversion to InnoDB using the following ways
1. by dumping all the data in a text file and loading it.
2. by using ALTER TABLE

Why is the record count so low after conversion to InnoDB?
Who should I believe: InnoDB or MyISAM?
Any ideas as to what can be done to avoid loss of this many rows?

I will be posting output from my latest conversion attempt in some time.

--Frank