To: "'Jesse'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'MySQL List'" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:47 AM
Subject: RE: Replication vs. Clustering

Hello,

Your description is fairly accurate and we can boil it down even further...

Replication is Asynchronous, Cluster is Synchronous, in regards to how data
is replicated.

Keep in mind that in Cluster, the MySQL Servers really only act as SQL
interfaces for the data in the Cluster, it is the NDB storage engine (Data
Nodes) that deal with ensuring that data is replicated and available.

I regards to the the setup, there is no special hardware, networking or
software requirements for either. Although Replication would require a
minimum of two machines, Cluster likely four.

Tough to say what the "cost" would be depending on which option you go with
and whether you'd need support as well. Needless to say, it would be many
times more economical to go with MySQL then going with something like Oracle
or SQL Server. Also note, MySQL and MySQL Replication are fairly ubiquitous
for websites, so there are a lot of resources on basic and advanced
topologies.

For more info on replication see:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-faq.html

For Cluster, start with the FAQ if you haven't already:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-cluster-faq.html

Thanks,

Jimmy Guerrero
Sr Product Manager