Asif Lodhi wrote:
Hi Chris,

On 7/28/06, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i'm trying to figure out how to allow all users on machines within my
> network access to a mysql db...
> with no luck..
Have you got mysql listening for network connections?

I don't understand your question.  My understanding is that I can use
MySQL free of cost on my own company's network.  Isn't it?  Do I have
to purchase a separate license for it?

Firstly always CC the list, you will get much faster responses.

... what does that have to do with your problem?

You need mysql to listen for network connections exactly the same as your webserver does before you can connect to it from a different computer.

By default mysql only allows local connections - this is a security feature.

So you need to allow network connections both in your my.cnf file and by making sure port 3306 is open in your firewall so it can receive network traffic.

It's all in the documentation.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/can-not-connect-to-server.html