1. Get as much memory as possible.
2. Get the fastest disks you can. Ones with fast access time and 10 or 15K RPMs are best. 3. I think SCSI has a slight advantage over SATA but they are more expensive also. So only get them if it doesn't have a negative effect on 1 or 2.
4. Use whatever $$$ are left on CPU(s).

Tripp Bishop wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking to replace and aging an aging database
server and was wondering if anyone has any advice
about AMD Opteron dual/quad core processors and MySQL
on a 64 bit box. We're currently running MySQL 5.0.15
and we'd like to stay with that release. Are there any
problems with running MySQL 5.0.15 on 64 bit
processors?

Does anyone have suggestions for hard disks? SATA vs
SCCI? Obviously we'd like to get the fastest disks we
can  (we're looking to spend somewhere around $5-7K
US). We'll have them in either a RAID1 or RAID10
configuration. We still have to decide if we want to
spread the table spaces (DB is INNODB) out across
multiple disks to spread the disk I/O around.

Cheers,

Tripp