RAID 10 = good choice.

I've worked a lot more with MyISAM, where OPTIMIZE TABLE does lock it
for the duration.  I note that for InnoDB, OPTIMIZE TABLE is mapped to
ALTER TABLE, and so I expect it will be locked for the duration as
well.  Perhaps someone else can confirm - all my InnoDB tables right
now are too small to run such a test on.

Speed - the OPTIMIZE TABLE process, for tables with millions of rows,
is not quick if a lot of deletes or updates have been done.  Inserts
generally have less effect.  If the data is static then it is very
quick after the initial optimize.  For tables with up to 30 million
records like what you have, I would think you'd want to plan
middle-of-the-night maintenance periods.  You might also look at your
table structure and consider MERGE or ARCHIVE tables to speed up
operations - just a thought.

Dan