Chris,

Replicating for the sake of backups is in general a
bad idea, since once you delete/update a record, it
will be automatically propagated to the slave server.

Replication, should be used to provide better
availabilty/load balancing but that would need to be
setup as part of a bigger plan to provide higher
availabilty to the service that you are providing.

One thing that you could do, is to setup a replicating
slave server, freeze the replication, perform backups
(to tape/disks etc), then re-enable the replication
activity, this way you provide a non-stop service
without compromising your data availabilty.

best regards,
Enrique.

--- Chris W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Before I go reading too deep into the documentation
> I would like to know
> if this is even possible or if it is just a bad
> idea.
>
> I have Server A with DB X, and server B with DB Y.
> I would like to set
> up Server A and B as both a replication master and
> slave.  Where Server
> A would be the Master for DB X and the Slave for DB
> Y AND Server B would
> be the Master for DB Y and Slave for DB X.   The
> reason I am doing this
> is just for keeping a backup.  Is this a bad idea?
> Any better ways?
>
> --
> Chris W
> KE5GIX