Hello,

I was just trying out the mysql_upgrade script on my MySQL 5.0 server
but it shows an error message that makes me believe it doesn't know
where to find its own data.

Here's what I did:

mysql_upgrade --basedir=/usr/local/mysql5 --datadir=/var/mysql5/data
--password

And this is what I got:

Enter password: [so did I]
/usr/local/mysql5/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to
local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to
connect
Could not find MySQL command-line client (mysql).
Please use --basedir to specify the directory where MySQL is installed.

The correct socket to connect to would be /var/tmp/mysql5.sock which is
written in the my.cnf file in the given datadir. And 'mysql' is in the
$PATH so my shell finds it without a problem. What can I do to make that
programme work? The MySQL version is 5.0.21 on a Debian 3.1 Linux
system. The server is running and works perfectly. I'm not sure if I
should upgrade to 5.0.24 if this script doesn't work.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://beta.unclassified.de – My web laboratory.