Ed Pauley II wrote:
Continuent's m/cluster will not work for me as it does not allow replication across a WAN.

Yeah, known problem...

We have an offsite backup that needs to be in the replication (2-way to make switching back and forth easy) chain.

Why do you need a backup site to write things to your master ? Or did I got wrong ?

I am thinking of a master, slave setup at each location where the masters continue to replicate both ways and then each replicates to it's own slaves. I would like to load balance these slaves on each end.

Let me see if I got it right: you have two sites, one master on each, one slave on each., and you want both master to replicate to the other and both slaves to receive data from them as well. Right ?

If so, MySQL does not support multi-master setup.

As far as I've heard there is no direct move into that direction from MySQL developers, although a voting system for a new master among one of the slaves can happen in the near future.

What may work is to have only one master on one of your sites and both sites update the same master (reducing speed for the slave site) and in the case of failure you switch them (manually or with some tool).

hope that helps,
--renato