Sort of a chicken/egg problem - no support until you pay, but you
won't pay until your problem is fixed?  Have you contacted them to
inquire whether this is a problem they could help you with if you did
pay for support?

Another avenue to pursue might be a support contract with MySQL.  We
had one at my last job, and while we only availed ourselves of it
twice in 5 years, when we did they were knowledgeable, thorough, and
professional.  Again, you might inquire whether this is a problem they
could help you with if you were to purchase support.

I'd respectfully suggest that, at least given the info you've provided
below, it's hard to make the claim that their HotBackup product is
working perfectly, since using the backup it creates results in a
crashing database server.  I would not consider that to be "working
perfectly".  It's hard to say where the fault may lie with the info
below.

As a first stab I suggest you update to the most current 4.1.x
release, 4.1.21.  I would expect that to be the about the first piece
of advice you would receive from either InnoDB or MySQL support, as
many, many bugfixes have occured in the last several months.

Regards,
Dan