The reason for this is probably because the original poster inherited
a database without a primary key, and now needs to make edits to it.
That happened to me with Oracle once, and I was lucky enough to be
able to use Oracle's rowid, which is a unique reference to the row
that is independent of the primary key.

Unfortunately, MySQL has no such allowance.  As others have stated,
the best way to accomplish this is to add a primary key to the table,
and hope you don't break any code downstream.  It may be worth a look
at the table description to make sure one doesn't already exist.