On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 08:38 -0400, Warren Crigger wrote:
> > Note that you should not just delete the bin logs. Instead
> > use PURGE MASTER LOGS. See
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/purge-master-logs.html
> >
> > hth,
> > mark
>

> Sorry, accidently hit Ctrl/Enter :(
>
> Anyway, I can't purge with that command:
>
> mysql> PURGE MASTER LOGS TO 'mysql-bin.023';
> ERROR:
> A purgeable log is in use, will not purge
>
> Any ideas?  I'm tempted to just delete but would prefer to do this the right
> way, and for some reason it thinks they are in use :/.  I'm showing:
>

> mysql> show master status;
> +----------+-----------+--------------+------------------+
> | File     | Position  | Binlog_do_db | Binlog_ignore_db |
> +----------+-----------+--------------+------------------+
> | repl.024 | 110962544 |              |                  |
> +----------+-----------+--------------+------------------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)

That File column looks wrong, the name should match your setting for the
name of the binary log e.g. 'mysql-bin.023'. 'repl' looks like the name
of a relay log, which is what slaves use to update them selves.
Can you send the output of SHOW MASTER STATUS; and SHOW SLAVE STATUS;
for both boxes?
Note if you use \G for the slave on the mysql command line the output is
much easy to read. e.g.
mysql> SHOW SLAVE STATUS\G

Also you might find running SHOW PROCESSLIST; on the servers usefull, if
the bin log is in use you should be able to see the replication
processes using it.

cheers,
mark
--

MARK ADDISON
WEB DEVELOPER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4678
E [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW.ITN.CO.UK
Please Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
This email and any files attached are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual
or entity to which they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our
clients and business,

Thank You.