Yes of course you can and...you should

As the my.cnf says
# InnoDB, unlike MyISAM, uses a buffer pool to cache both indexes and
# row data. The bigger you set this the less disk I/O is needed to
# access data in tables. On a dedicated database server you may set this
# parameter up to 80% of the machine physical memory size. Do not set it
# too large, though, because competition of the physical memory may
# cause paging in the operating system.  Note that on 32bit systems you
# might be limited to 2-3.5G of user level memory per process, so do not
# set it too high.

So if you are using innodb as you main engine i suggest the advice of 80% of
ram, obviously it depends of the current load in the server; if you are
running ie. an application server you would have to divide the ram according
to each needs.

Carlos.