At first blush, I'd look into a few different possibilities -

- An idle connection timeout is being enforced on a persistent connection pool
- Too many individual connections are overwhelming a Windows server
(see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/can-not-connect-to-server-on-windows.html)
- Flaky networking between db server and "client" (web server most
likely in this case).  Could be physical or logical (or both).

Dan