Daniel Kasak wrote:
Chris wrote:

I'd see if you can get logging enabled.

I will do that next visit, yes. I was pushed for time - in between 2
other commitments, and wasn't expecting problems.

When the pauses happen try a 'show process list;' and see what else
mysql is doing at the time. Maybe you have a deadlock situation -
client "a" and "b" are trying to access the same table at the same
time and it's conflicting in a strange way. The process list may give
you some further ideas.

I didn't think of that, but I did restart MySQL a couple of times, and
this was after-hours, so I would be surprised if anyone else was on the
system at the time. But I'll do that too, thanks.

Are you using the ip address to connect to the server or a name?

I tried both. They were using a FQDN with an internal DNS server, but I
switched it to using the IP address. It didn't affect anything.

Can the server resolve the names that are connecting to it? (ie is
reverse dns set up properly).

Um. Don't know that one. I'll forward this off to their IT guy and see.

Could be a simple network issue too.. are pings fast/slow?

The reason I asked about that last one was some of the suggestions on this page:

http://www.debuntu.org/2006/07/21/75-how-to-optimize-mysql-response-time/