I would encourage people to use date filters on their searches, as
that could help by eliminating rows prior to the fulltext search.

For backup and recovery of a database this size, with MyISAM tables, I
recommend the included 'mysqlhotcopy' script.  Also a mastery of the
mysqldump command will help a lot, and is an alternate method of
achieving backups.

Dan