Assuming that the locking issues occur mainly when an insert is being performed (i.e. replying to a post) then what about using read local locks for selects so that you can perform con-current inserts?

If you have a lot of old threads that are no longer updated but viewed regularly then you could consider splitting the posts table and compressing the old threads, how you could implement something like this would depend greatly on your forums application however.

Hope this helps

Adrian

Marco Simon wrote:
Hi everybody,

I've got a little problem with a web and mysql based
bulleting-board-application.
The board is quite well visited and users are writing aprox. 1 new post
per second. In total the db gets aprox. 250 queries/sec.

The webserver and mysql-server are running on different hosts, the db server
is running on

Linux db 2.6.14.2 #4 SMP Thu Nov 17 09:54:44 CET 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

model name      :               Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 3000.229
cache size      : 1024 KB

4GB RAM.

My problem is that I get a lot and very long locks (30 sec and more) on
the table which is holding
the user's posts. There are aprox. 3.3 Mio records in that table which
consumes
a size of 1.5 GB. The table-format is myisam.

So far switching to innodb mostly soluted my problems with table locks.
But because of the table
size and the limited Memory I can't switch to inno-db in this case.

Are there any other conceptional or technical ideas how to reduce the
(long lasting) table locks ?

Thanks for any idea in advance !

Best regards,
  Marco