I got a lot of good help from people on this list. Some of them got pissed at me because I was slow to use their suggestions. My reason was I could not believe someone would release a rpm(s) that required the user to make a directory not mentioned in the referance manual and change it's owner to mysql. None of this was obvious to me, a new user of mysql.

I plan to file a bug report on this. It is a serious error in getting mysql working on Linux. I hope the files for the Windows users are better written :-)

Now I need to solve some serious permission problems. I hope the Reference Manual in Info form will allow me to correct these. For some reason unknown

$ mysqladmin -U make new password for root doesn't work. and I can't get other things to work until I get this fixed. But the work is for tomorrow. I'm 71 years old and yes I am slowing down.

Karl Larsen