VVM Ravikumar Sarma Chengalvala wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> > Comparing Oracle vs. MySQL myisam tables, MySQL will
> > save disk space, and provide you with much faster
> queries, but you  have to be aware of the  table
> locking issues if you are doing
> updates/inserts/deletes mixed > with reads.
> table level locking if no explicit locking is there.If
> I am using non transaction sensitive tables can I go
> ahead without providing any explicit locking?I am
> using myISAM.
> Regards,
> Ravi

You don't need to provide explicit lockin in most cases.
But if you do not and mysql needs to make a lock for an
update it will lock the table against other reads until
the update is complete, it is quick, but if you are pushing
the server with many updates and reads at the same time it
can be very slow, or if you have updates that take a long
time you can create a large queue of waiting readers.