Neil Tompkins wrote:
OK, I appear to be getting somewhere with the FULL TEXT search.  Does anyone
have any good resources about producing search engine type results ? for
example if some enters a search phrase like   londn  how would I suggest the
word london ?

I was listening to a podcast a while ago that explained this (can't find the reference sorry) and basically what they do is if the search term contains no results or only a few results, log what the person types in next to search for.

The most common "next search" becomes the "did you mean".

Whether that's true or not I don't know but it's a pretty simple idea and would work reasonably well.