Nico, as a first stab, I would try optimizing the tables in question.

OPTIMIZE TABLE mysql.user
etc.

The one with 194,177 entries would be a good candidate for this especially.

done, but with no improvement

I wonder also if you would see something logged in the slow query log
as this happens?

done, but as you can see there's nothing in the log we didnt already know:

cat  *slow*
/usr/sbin/mysqld-max, Version: 4.0.26-Max-log, started with:
Tcp port: 3306  Unix socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Time                 Id Command    Argument
# Time: 060824 15:08:14
# [EMAIL PROTECTED]: X[X] @ nico.abc.loc [192.168.0.34]
# Query_time: 20  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
show databases;

Perhaps the tables_priv table could use an
additional index, if OPTIMIZE doesn't do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Dan

done, but still no improvement :(

Thanks for your help

Sponsor:

Conquista e fatti conquistare aderendo al Club PER DUE di Blinko

Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=5490&d=24-8