We have a client program that fails trying to access tmp/mysql.sock on
open. It seems that newer servers either dont create the tmp file or store
it somewhere else.

What can be done to make the existing binary work with both older and newer
servers? Is there a my.cnf setting? And also, why has this become an issue?
Can it be a build issue with the server? Or is this file being scrubbed by
some startup routine (Debian is well-known to do damage upon start up this
way)?

thanks.

Dennis