For best performance, you would want to have all your indexes stored
in RAM, certainly.  Generally true of databases.

However, you do not have to have enough RAM to keep the indexes loaded.

You can configure MySQL to use as much RAM as is appropriate for your
machine.   The online manual has some good configuration guidelines,
and the sample my.cnf files included with your installation may be a
good starting point as well.

Dan