Ratheesh K J wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Currently our application and MySQL server are on the same machine.
>
> When should these be seperated?

When:

 - your performance is dropping, and
 - you have identified that your bottleneck is CPU usage, and
 - both your MySQL server and your application server are fighting for
CPU usage at the same time, and
 - you can't add more CPUs

If any of the above don't apply, then you should be doing something else
instead - maybe increasing your RAM or upgrading your SCSI disks.

> What are the main reasons that we should be having a seperate DB server?

Performance. And keep in mind that communication between MySQL and your
application server will be *considerably* faster when they're both on
the same system. If you put them on separate systems, obviously
communication between the 2 will now be over the network.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer