Jesse,

Back around 1995-1996 I built a VB app with an Access database that would do
much of what you want - it was for shipping and terminal locations - then
ported it over to ASP & SQL Server a year or two later.  I found several raw
data files, either CSV or TSV, which were pretty easily imported into most any
database.  I believe I found the data files through the Census Bureau web site,
http://www.census.gov.  Took some searching to find, but from the files I
finally found, the database listed ZIP code; Lat/Long of the rough center
(centroid?) of the ZIP area: city & state; population as of 1990 census, and a
few other then-relevant columns that I cannot now recall.  Dunno if that data
is still available, but that's the first place I'd start looking.  A warning,
though - the terminology on the site doesn't always - or often - reflect what
you find after you get where it pointed <grin />.