On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 08:31 -0700, Phantom wrote:
> We have an application that stores versioned data in MySQL. Everytime a
> piece of data is retrieved and written to, it is stored in the database with
> a new version and all old versions are subsequently deleted. We have a
> request rate of 2 million reads per hour and 1.25 million per hour. What I
> am seeing is that as the DB grows the performance on the writes degrades
> substantially. When I start with a fresh database writes are at 70ms. But
> once the database reaches around 10GB the writes are at 200 ms. The DB can
> grow upto 35GB. I have tried almost performance related tuning described in
> the MySQL documentation page.
>
> What do I need to look at to start addressing this problem or this is how
> the performance is going to be ?

Before getting into server parameters, is it possible to take a look at
your schema and a sample of your SQL queries from the application?  That
would help immensely.  70ms for an UPDATE seems very slow... and 200ms
is very slow.

Cheers,
--
Jay Pipes
Community Relations Manager, North America, MySQL, Inc.