Maybe that's my issue, I had though the type of query would not matter.

I've run simple queries in query browser like this:
Select * from table t;

And refreshed web pages hit about a hundred times a day containing
counting queries like this:
select count(BuildingInfo.deliverycode) AS 'Total' from BuildingInfo,
AgencyInfo where BuildingInfo.agencyid = AgencyInfo.agencyid AND
AgencyInfo.type = 'academic' AND (BuildingInfo.membershipstatus = 'Full'
OR BuildingInfo.membershipstatus = 'Developmental')

And select queries at least as long as these:
SELECT AgencyInfo.Name, AgencyInfo.agencyid from AgencyInfo where
AgencyInfo.Type = 'school' AND (AgencyInfo.membershipstatus = 'Full' OR
AgencyInfo.membershipstatus = 'Developmental') ORDER BY AgencyInfo.Name

SELECT AgencyInfo.Name, BuildingInfo.Name as 'BuildingName',
AgencyInfo.agencyid, BuildingInfo.buildingid FROM BuildingInfo INNER
JOIN AgencyInfo ON  BuildingInfo.agencyid = AgencyInfo.agencyid ORDER BY
AgencyInfo.Name, BuildingInfo.Name;

There are indexes on the id and name related fields used in the WHERE
clauses.

Kathy Mazur Worden
Prairie Area Library System