On 8/31/06, Harrison Fisk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

On Aug 31, 2006, at 5:12 AM, Kim Christensen wrote:

> Hey list;
>
> I posted this message under an earlier thread which touched the same
> subject - but I realized my case could be slightly different, thus
> posting a new thread here. Sorry for any inconvenience.
>
> I have two tables, one of which is a list over products which all have
> unique product id's (product_id). The other table, items, is a list
> over the products' corresponding prices and stock info; one row per
> each one of our supplier that has the item.

The problem is that your product_id is an INT in one table and a
VARCHAR in the other.  This will cause MySQL to have to do
conversions of data types, which means it can't use indexes.  Switch
product_id to be an INT and both tables and it should solve your
performance problems.

Ouch. I reduced the DELETE... query time to 0.4 secs in total after
changing the second table's product_id to an INT. Thanks alot, I sure
wouldn't have seen this on my own after staring myself blind on this -
you've saved me lots of work!

I'm sure gonna be more careful with the data types next time! :-)

--
Kim Christensen