I have a registration script that inserts data into the database, and
then emails you an activation code to activate your account.  The
problem is that when I click on the link in the email, the account does
not get updated.  The portion of the script that has a problem is this:

$query = "UPDATE users SET active=NULL WHERE user_id=$x AND active='" .
escape_data($y) . "' LIMIT 1";
$result = mysql_query ($query) or trigger_error("Query: $query\n<br
/>MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());

I do not believe this is a PHP problem because the error states that it
is most likely a MySQL error.  If anyone can see the problem, can you
please let me know what it is.  I have been looking at this for about
three days now, and I can't figure it out.

The registration page does update the DB (MySQL 3.24.49), but the
activation page does not.

Thank you,
Nick