On Sep 7, 2006, at 3:32 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I need to know the number of rows that a query will return before
actually executing the query. So I am sending select count(*) before
sending select *. Actually I need to reject queries if the number of
records that it will return is huge, to avoid my server running out of
memory. My application has a huge database of around 10 millions.

It sounds like you program allows ad-hoc queries, so why don't you just limit the number of rows returned by a select?

For example you could limit the number of rows to 1001. If the server returns 1001, then display 1000 and tell the user there are actually more rows. The user should then apply further conditions.