Thanks, Douglas!

That seems OK, but I'd prefer to avoid altering the schemas in any way. In particular altering order of constraints seems error-prone, given that one is essentially re-defining these, not simply rearranging the order. Am I asking for impossible? ;-

-nikita

Douglas Sims wrote:
One way you could solve this is to conform the column orders between the two versions.

For example, if one table, t6, has columns id, name, and address and the same table in the second database is id, address, name, you could just ALTER the second database t6 table to be id, name, address:

mysql> describe t6;
+---------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field   | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+---------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| id      | int(9)      | NO   | PRI | 0       |       |
| address | varchar(32) | YES  |     |         |       |
| name    | varchar(32) | YES  | MUL |         |       |
+---------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> alter table t6 change column address address varchar(32) after name;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> describe t6;
+---------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field   | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| id      | int(9)      | NO   | PRI | 0       |       |
| name    | varchar(32) | YES  | MUL |         |       |
| address | varchar(32) | YES  |     |         |       |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Here is the mysql documentation on ALTER TABLE: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

Douglas Sims
[EMAIL PROTECTED]