When you've got the first problem fixed ....

To have MySQL [or any application] restart at boot time, you need to
copying the start script to /etc/rc3.d

Start scripts in the rc3.d dir all start with 'S' followed by a
number, like: S53mysql.

As root, copy the
/usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server script to /etc/rc3.d, and
rename it as say S53mysql.

This should fix the boot problem.

~mm