I have developed a ftp searchengine, which uses a database for backend data
storage.
While mysql is indeed the fastest db for my needs, I wish to improve the
searchtime a bit further. A typical query would be

    SELECT id, field FROM table WHERE field LIKE '%query%'

I understand that the use of LIKE '%...' disencourages the use of indexes.
Fulltext indexes are not useful either, since I want to be able to match any
substring of 'field' with no regard to word boundaries.

The database is about 1 mio. rows and 5 colums. Field is a varchar(255).

What can be done to optimize? I have considered placing the data in memory,
since speed is of more concern than data integrety. Have anybody tried that?
I am very open to suggestions.

Best regards
Anders Johannsen
Denmark