U can chk firewall by doing a telnet to the remote host on 3306 ( default ) port .

Error message looks like username/password might be wrong .

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

hi,
I'm trying to access to mysql on dedicated web server (hosted by hosting
company) using MySQL Administrator. Right now I'm getting error message
2003 (Can't connect to the server...).
On users table I can see in user column 'root' and 'admin' as users and
both have for host 'localhost' (root has tough localhost.localdomains too)

After some googling I think I have to create a user (e.g. 'admin2') and
grant:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'admin2'@'123.123.123.%'
   ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

(123.123.123.% means I'll access from IPs that start with 123.123.123 right?)
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Is this all? Do I have to do something else? I do have to restart mysql
server, right?

Back to top: right now, when I try to access, I'm getting error message
2003. Since I didn't get error "Access denied for [EMAIL PROTECTED]",
I think, even I have correct user/pass, someting else will stop me
(firewall, 3306 is blocked,...), right?
How can I check this?

Thanks for any help.

-afan