my ISP is using mysql v4.0.26  I am trying to do the following SQL and cannot
get it to parse without an #1064 error.

select r.prog_id, r.prog_name, p.show_id, p.show_title, p.show_desc,
p.show_speaker, p.show_date_recorded, s.spk_name
from programmes p, series r, speaker s
where r.prog_id = p.show_prog_id
and p.show_speaker = s.spk_id
and r.prog_id <> 5
and p.show_date_recorded between '2006-08-25' and '2006-09-22'
and p.show_date_recorded = (select max(show_date_recorded) from programmes q
where q.show_id = p.show_id)

Tables are joined as shown by first two where statements; r has 6 unique
series, p has multiple programmes and s has multiple speakers
I'm trying to pick out the latest programme in each series in a date range and
include the series full name (prog_name) and speaker full name (spk_name) from
the other tables.

I've played around with joins but cannot seem to get round it,
Any suggestions apart from ISP using different mySQL greatly appreciated!
Rob