That is a good work around, I appreciate the idea.  The optimal would be a
client that listens on the mysql thread the pushes data to the database.
But if there is no way to "tap into that thread", the "select count(*)"
would do.

There must be a way to do it though, since it is done with replication.

Thanks

David Godsey