By default it doesn't, but you can change that behaviour. Quoting from this page http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/stored- procedures.html :

Recursive stored procedures are disabled by default, but can be enabled on the server by setting the max_sp_recursion_depth server system variable to a nonzero value. See Section 5.2.3, “System Variables”, for more information.

There is also a very thorough article discussing stored procedures in MySQL which gives an example of tree traversal here:
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-storedprocedures.html

Douglas Sims
[EMAIL PROTECTED]