Dan,

Thank you, that works! FYI, you can treat the field like a number, including sorting, numeric functions, etc.

For example,

select * from table order by (text_field+0.0)

Steve Musumeche
CIO, Internet Retail Connection
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dan Nelson wrote:
In the last episode (Sep 28), Steve Musumeche said:
I think this method will work, however, when trying these queries, I get a SQL syntax error.

mysql> select cast('34' AS decimal);
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'decimal)' at line 1

The CAST function in mysql 4.1 and older can't cast to DECIMAL.  5.0
and newer can.  One easy way to convert strings to numbers in older
mysql's is to add 0 to them:

mysql> select ("1.10" + 0);
| "1.10" + 0 |