Jay, mysqld_multi will do what you want, it's a tool to help you manage
two or more mysql daemons on the same host. You can either have the two
databases bind to different IPs or same IP and different ports.

To the other replies in this thread: why wouldn't you want to have
development databases on a different daemon? Issue one bad query on the
devel database and you take down your website...

Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Unix Systems Administrator