Dan,

Thanks for the reply...

I wondered if this might be the case myself.  However, I made a change
the the variable query_cache_size in the same ini and it registered
correctly after the service restart.

Or, are you saying MySQL might be reading from multiple ini files?
Well, either way in the mean time I am going to search for additional
ini files that may contain the offending variable value.

Thanks!

Robert Coggins