At 05:42 PM 10/3/2006, you wrote:

Dan Nelson wrote:

In the last episode (Oct 03), Angelo Zanetti said:

I've got a database that has a few thousand rows, I've noticed that
some of the search queries (especially the large ones) are taking
some time. Im looking at adding indexes to my tables in order to
speed up the data retrieval.

My question is as follows: At this point in time if I add the indexes
to the various tables should I see immediate results in the query
times or do I have to wait for new information to enter the database
(only new data gets indexed?)

When does the data actually get indexed? Is it when its inserted or
continually when regards are inserted or updated in the database?

When you add an index, Mysql builds a complete index of your table
immediately. For a few thousand rows it should take under a minute. The index will automatically be updated as you insert rows or change
existing ones.

thanks Dan and Dan.

I will have a look at the mysql site. However I checked and there are 600 rows approx in the database. The query im running has 3 subselect statements and takes quite a while, would you say that indexing wouldn't help as there arent that many rows in the database currently? And therefore consider rewriting parts of the statement?
I will add the indexes as good measuse anyway.

TIA

Use an "Explain" in front of your Select statement in the MySQL gui to see which indexes it is using.

Example:

explain select * from table1 where cust_no=123 order by date_sold;

Mike