Ben, the my.cnf file (usually in /etc/my.cnf) usually contains the
settings related to memory usage.  You can see info on a lot of the
various settings here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-system-variables.html
and here for InndoDB-specific:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-parameters.html

If you post the output of SHOW VARIABLES we can take a look and tell
you what you might have misconfigured.

Dan