How to speed up query of indexed column with 5M rows?

I have a table with more than 5M rows. (400M .MYD 430M .MYI).

It took 27 seconds to do a common select...where... in the index column.

I can not bear the long run.

Vmstat show that system was bounded by IO busy.(Always more than 13000
bi/s, blocks input / second .)

I increase some options to speed up query.
I try "SET GLOBAL key_buffer_size=256*1024*1024", the query still need
14 seconds.
try "read_buffer_size = 2M" again, down to 9s.

It is a great improvement, but the result still can not be acceptable,
no matter to multiple query.

Is there any method to speed up the query. I found the select by
primary key of the 5M Row is very quickly(0.05s).

I found if it is IO busy, process will hang much time for loading. If
index is cached in memory, process will be much more faster.

Bottleneck is IO performance. How to improve mysql io performance?

Mysql 4.1.21 + linux 2.6.17 + 512M memory + IDE Disk udma5

-----------------------
CREATE TABLE /*!32312 IF NOT EXISTS*/ `flow` (
`id` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
`owner` int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
`uuid` varchar(36) NOT NULL default '',
`length` int(11) default '0',
`time` int(11) default '0',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
UNIQUE KEY `id` (`id`),
UNIQUE KEY `flow_uuidindex` (`uuid`),
KEY `flow_nameindex` (`name`),
KEY `flow_fk_owner` (`owner`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

mysql> explain select * from flow where owner=11251;
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+------+---------+------+---------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len |
ref | rows | Extra |
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+------+---------+------+---------+-------------+
| 1 | SIMPLE | flow | ALL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 5122593 | Using where |
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+------+---------+------+---------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> explain select * from flow where owner=11251;
Empty set (18.82 sec)

If there is no method to improve, can you advise me a redesign of table?
I think there is a way to do if I only use unique key in where.

Thanks

Owner index was 253285 unique owner, probably means user. On average,
one user have 20 flows.
mysql> select count(*) from owner;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 253285 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Sorry for misspell of gid. It is uuid of the flow. I think I should
redesign the table. But how to solve the huge one-multiple
relationship.

The flow table is the only largest table in the database, the others
are relative small just like the owner table size.

I have a design. Create an additinal field in owner table to store the
pk(or uuid) of flows owned by this user. Than use a store procedure to
update this field called by changing to the flow table. But I think it
is a bad design, right ? And also mysql 4.1.x do not support store
procedure. I do not want to migrate the whole database, and I am sure
there are some incompatible.

Thanks...