I'd like some advice on setting up databases that contain entries for
the same item in more than one language. For instance, here's what I
currently do for a table that contains the same topics translated into
English and Arabic:
CREATE TABLE `TOPIC` (
  `TopicID` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `Topic-en` text NOT NULL,
  `Topic-ar` text character set utf8 collate utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL,
  `ParentTopicID` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`TopicID`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='Topics for text-based
hierarchies' AUTO_INCREMENT=76 ;

In this table, 'Topic-ar' is the Arabic translation of the English
'Topic-en.' If this were required to also be in Spanish and French, I'd
add columns for 'Topic-es' and 'Topic-fr' similar to 'Topic-en' above.

I'm wondering if there are any other ways to store and access
multilingual data. Can anyone suggest other ways they've dealt with this
task, and the pros and cons of their approach compared to mine?

Thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager
Center for Communication Programs