1) Are you opening connections and properly (explicitly) closing them ???

If you are using PHP, Please make sure you close all mysql_query requests with
two(2) calls
mysql_free_result
mysql_close

2) Have you tried persistent connections ???

If you are using PHP, use mysql_pconnect instead of mysql_connect
This is no API function to close a persistent connection.
Hence, connections are internally pooled and ready for reuse.

3) Have you tried changing your connection timeout variable on the MySQL server
???

In the my.cnf put in the [mysqld] section
wait_timeout=900

This will timeout any open connections in 15 minutes
Otherwise, the default value is 28800 (8 hours)

Experiment with these variables in your my.cnf
A) max_connections (default is 100, try higher numbers)

B) connect_timeout (The number of seconds mysqld will wait for a
connect packet before responding with a 'bad handshake' error)

C) max_connect_errors (default is 10, try higher numbers.
Additionally, run 'FLUSH HOSTS' in mysql as root
as regularly as needed. This will unblock a host that
refuses further connection request if you reach or
surpass 'max_connect_errors' connection errors)