Chris, it's somewhat common for hosting companies to restrict outbound
connections like what you describe.  They may have a firewall
preventing what you are trying to do.

From your hosting account, can you telnet to your machine on port 3306 ?

I get something like this:
$ telnet 192.168.2.4 3306
Trying 192.168.2.4...
Connected to 192.168.2.4.
Escape character is '^]'.
5.0.21-standard-log8E]&@R[Tq,^bSW;_ONv)gO

and then after a couple of seconds,
Connection closed by foreign host.

If you can get this, then your connection is probably not restricted
at the firewall.  If you can't, then it probably is.

HTH,
Dan