Ahmad -

It's not always a cut-and-dried thing; performance tuning involves a
lot of factors, and with living databases should be an ongoing thing.

Check out the section on optimization at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/optimize-overview.html
and/or Jeremy Zawodny's excellent book, "High Performance MySQL"

what may be of specific interest to you right away is the EXPLAIN
function, showing you how MySQL will execute your queries:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/explain.html

Dan