Just curious to know,

I tried to update a table with ~1.7 million rows (~1G in size) and the
update took close to 15-20 minutes before it says it's done.
Is this kind of speed expected?

I don't really understand how the alter table add column is done, but
when I look at the "show processlist" I see that it says the state is
"copying into tmp table"

Does the alter table mean that MySQL has to copy the Entire table,
row-by-row into a temporary table, and add in the additional column (or
2)??

Btw, where is this temporary table? I don't see it in the DB. and I
don't see it in the default /tmp directory.

I'm using InnoDB by the way.

Thanks