John,
How many databases does a single instance of MySQL Server 5.x support?
I suspect you'll get a bit of a <shrug />, with a 64bit machine there's a limit of 4.2 billion rows per table and with an XFS file system 8EB per table, there's a join limit specified somewhere but I don't think there's an explicit limit coded in anywhere? Assuming you have no other hardware constraints beyond a 64bit processor (and that's an enormous assumption) I'd imagine you'd explode one of the tables in the information_schema database maybe.

Having said all that I suspect that the effort to build a 128bit processor with working generic *n!x kernel, ANSI C compiler and file system (minus any 64bit constraints) would dwarf the work then needed to compile MySQL onto it.

So for the time being I'd suggest that it's safe to assume you'll find your hardware's limits first.

Regards,
   Phil