From: Chris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 19 October 2006 23:52
To: Marvin Wright
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Deletes on big tables

> 2.    If I could split the tables up into smaller tables would this
> help ?  My dilemma here is that I can split the data, the data would
> be in different tables but on the same hardware, the same number of
> deletes would still have to happen so would it actually make any
difference ?

No idea about the rest but yes you'll get better performance with
smaller tables.

What indexes do you have on the table(s) ? Hopefully no redundant or
duplicate ones.

Deletes have to update all indexes on the table at the same time - the
less data, the smaller the index(es), the quicker the response.