Warren Young wrote:
Paul Warner wrote:

When a user enters text with a £ sign (Great Britain Pound) in the
browser and clicks enter, any insert or update statement apparently
gets truncated in mysql.

It's possible that somewhere along the line, the character is getting translated to a multibyte Unicode format. (UTF-16 or -32, most likely.) The hex value for the pound sign is 00A3, which includes a null character, which the MySQL C API will interpret as end-of-string.
From my own experience I'd point out that if your using a terminal to do something like SSH, that too needs to be set to the correct encoding as well. Data being imported (be that any method, even cutting and pasting) can also be an area of strife, I suffered greatly when when producing a copious country and region listing system with everything in the correct character sets for a website that had up until then been ISO-{whatever}.

Regards,
   Phil